The Dennis Tourbin Members Gallery was created in 1996. It was named after a founding member of NAC, renowned for his charisma, wit, and energy. After playing a key role in the establishment of NAC and in the successes of early NAC projects like the Johnny Canuck Miniature Show, and the Twelve Mile Creek publications, Dennis went on to help found Art Space in Peterborough and later became a key figure at the SAW Gallery in Ottawa. His work has been collected by the National Gallery of Canada.
The DTMG is available for exhibits, installations, performance and screenings by NAC members in good standing. Work in the space can also be made for sale. NAC takes a commission of 15% to help defray costs related to gallery upkeep. It is a do-it-yourself space and all presentations are produced, promoted, and installed by the featured NAC member artist.
Members in good standing intending to make use of the DTMG will submit a formal proposal to the NAC Selection Committee, a standing committee of the Board of Directors. Submissions will be reviewed on a quarterly basis and will include:
- Ten images (digital), video, or other appropriate documentation
- A description of the proposed show
- A statement about the work
- A resume and/or bio of the artist
NAC is a collective of "working artists" and arts supporters. It is governed by a Board of Directors comprised of a majority of artists. NAC is mandated to support and advance contemporary art practices. The following criteria will be followed in selecting exhibitions:
- The proposal's use of the venue
- The development of the work to assure follow-through on the part of the member artist in meeting their commitment to using the space
- The ability of the work to communicate in the dialogue of developing, emerging, or established contemporary art practices
- The ability of the work to meet NAC community standards
As the DTMG is not part of the publicly funded NAC programme, no artist or exhibition fees are paid. All DTMG presentations are listed and documented by NAC as ancillary programming.
Duration of Exhibitions
DTMG bookings will be approximately two weeks in duration. Arrangements must be made with NAC staff for installing and striking.
There is an on-going deadline for submissions.
For more info please contact Natasha Pedros at