1. Organization’s Mission Statement
Mission Statement – What do we do?
Niagara Artists Company is a not-for-profit, charitably registered, collective formed by and dedicated to serving the working artists and community of Niagara.
NAC provides a forum for the development, exhibition and appreciation of contemporary art by providing facilities, equipment, professional expertise and a supportive atmosphere for arts research, advocacy and dissemination.
NAC believes that the arts and a critical dialogue on the arts are integral to a healthy community.
Vision Statement – Why do we do it?
NAC is striving to educate and contribute to a community that gets excited about art, that supports and recognizes local artists and cultural institutions, and that understands an investment in the arts is an act of enlightened self interest.
2. Goals of Organization
The aspirations of the Niagara Artists Company are categorized in four functional areas.
- Develop greater curatorial rigour
- Enhance cross-cultural relations
- Increase professional artist memberships
- Sustain satellite activities – film, performing
- Increase, improve publications, catalogues
- Increase member driven programming
- Increase member career development
- Increase educational programming
- Increase audiences
- Maintain program continuity – two galleries
- Increase publications, catalogues
- Increase educational programming
- Increase public art initiatives
- Develop an online art job bank
- Maintain a flexible performance space
- Create on line art sales mechanism
- Increase public recognition
- Increase human resources, volunteers
- Increase membership and donors
- Increase political advocacy for artists
- Add strategic business alliances, partners
- Assume leadership as an artist-run centre
- Continue influencing the gentrification of the neighbourhood
Resource Management – Human, Facility, Equipment, Financial
- Own and control a higher visibility, functional building
- Increase human resources, administration
- Diversify revenue sources
- Develop a NAC store online
- Create an accessible digital archive
Summary of Programs and Services
General Program Guidelines
- Provide a platform for interdisciplinary contemporary art
- Provide a members’ gallery, main gallery and multi-purpose place of assembly
- Choose regional, national and international exhibits of special interest to the community
- Balance examples of regional practice with the work of artists from outside Niagara
- Maintain artist fees and project related expenses above minimum CARFAC standards
Current Programs and Services
Niagara Artists Centre offers a resource for the development of the contemporary arts in Niagara and a forum for the appreciation of contemporary arts in Niagara.
Resource for Members
As a Resource to Member Artists, NAC provides:
- Exhibition space/members’ gallery
- Professional expertise
- Equipment, tools and internet access
- Educational workshops and publications
- Communication network, bulletins, information
- A film library
- Promotion, referrals, and liaison to clients
- Advocacy for the rights of artists
Forum for Arts Appreciation
As a Forum for the Appreciation of Contemporary Arts in the community, NAC provides:
- Juried exhibitions in its Main Exhibition Space
- Educational workshops/screenings
- Referrals and liaison with artists
- Information and a library
- Film collection
NAC . . .
- Provides a platform for interdisciplinary contemporary art
- Provides a members’ gallery, main gallery and multi-purpose place of assembly
- Chooses regional, national and international exhibits of special interest to the community
- Balances examples of regional practice with the work of artists from outside Niagara
- Maintains artist fees and project related expenses above minimum CARFAC rates
- Offers a resource for the development of the contemporary arts in Niagara
- Is a forum for the appreciation of contemporary arts in Niagara