Vtape and NAC co-present the latest Curatorial Incubator v.18: Learning From the Local, a video program based on the idea of Toronto-ness (Vtape) and Niagara-ness (NAC).
V.18: Learning From the Local includes three series of video works curated by Marvin Veloso (Toronto), Connor Wilkes (Niagara) and Delilah Rosier (Toronto) screening during gallery hours in the Micro Cinema until 26 March 2023.
Niagara Screening + Reception Sat 4 Mar 2pm-5pm at NAC
RSVP for the reception event is recommended below>>
Join the curators in person to discuss their research and film programs. The event will sample shorts from the Toronto programs, and feature the full screening of the Niagara focused program.
2:00 PM Introductions
2:15 PM Video Excerpts from Learning From The Local Toronto Program 1 & 3
2:50 PM Screening Niagara Program Across the Escarpment including documentary works:
1. Richard Kerr, Hawkesville to Wallenstein, 1976, 6:00/ Scenes from a winter day in Hawkesville and Wallenstein in Ontario, north of Kitchener. Kerr focuses on the horse drawn carriages and sleighs; automobiles seem outnumbered here. The film then takes us to a farmers’ market and a shed were a man works on crafting components of carriages.
2. Phillip Hoffman, On the Pond, 1978, 9:40/ Hoffman recreates scenes from his childhood, practicing hockey on a frozen pond at the family cottage. The soundtrack interweaves sounds of skates cutting through the ice and Hoffman’s family responding to family photos on a 35mm slide projector.
3. Richard Kerr, Canal, 1982, 22:00/ In this film Richard Kerr takes the camera to his hometown St. Catharines, Ontario. Kerr’s film was shot on the Welland Canal, featuring rusty ships as they traverse the waterway, dock workers and the overgrown landscape around the canal.
4. Rick Hancox, Waterworx (A Clear Day No Memories), 1982, 5:35 / This film was shot at the R.C. Harris Water Treatment Plant in Toronto, layered with text featured from Wallace Stevens’ poem of the same name, evoking feelings of another time.
5. Richard Kerr, Plein Air Étude, 1991, 5:35 / Featuring frenetic shots of a stone beach, a lake, trees and the sun.
3:45 PM Audience Q+A followed by casual reception with light refreshments.
Co-presented with Vtape