David O’Meara & Damian Rogers
Thomas Craig Oliver Terrace at NAC
Friday 10 July 2015 – Doors at 8:30PM / Reading at 9PM
PAY WHAT YOU CAN or $10 at the door
David O’Meara is the author of four collections of poetry and a play, Disaster, nominated for four Rideau Awards. He has been shortlisted for the Gerald Lampert Award, the ReLit Prize, the K. M. Hunter Award, the Trillium Book Award, a National Magazine Award and is a three-time winner of the Archibald Lampman Prize. His most recent book, A Pretty Sight (Coach House Books, 2013), won the 2014 Ottawa Book Award.
>> Read a Q&A with David O’Meara here
Originally from the Detroit area, Damian Rogers now lives in Toronto where she works as the poetry editor of both House of Anansi Press and The Walrus, and as the creative director of Poetry in Voice, a national recitation contest for Canadian high-school students. Her first book of poems, Paper Radio, was nominated for the Pat Lowther Memorial Award.
>> Check out Damian Rogers’ website here
Jazz photography by Dan Brown in the Dennis Tourbin Members Gallery
With a screening of Jazz on a Summer’s Day on the Thomas Craig Oliver Terrace
Both events Wednesday 22 July at the Niagara Artists Centre
Exhibit reception at 7:30PM
Screening to follow at 9:15PM
Niagara photographer Dan Brown has been photographing performers presented by the Twilight Jazz Series and the newly founded Niagara Jazz Festival. Working in both colour and black and white, Dan aims to capture evocative moments of transcendence when the performers have lost themselves in the music.
Jazz on a Summer’s Day is a documentary film set at the 1958 Newport Jazz Festival in Rhode Island, co-directed by commercial and fashion photographer Bert Stern. The film features performances by Thelonious Monk, Sonny Stitt, Anita O’Day, Dinah Washington, Chuck Berry, and Louis Armstrong.
THE YES MEN ARE REVOLTING
Film Screening on the Thomas Craig Oliver Terrace at NAC
Thursday 23 July 2015
Doors at 8:30PM / Screening at 9PM
PWYC (suggested $10)
For the last 20 years, notorious activists the Yes Men have staged outrageous and hilarious hoaxes to draw international attention to corporate crimes against humanity and the environment. Armed with nothing but thrift-store suits and a lack of shame, these iconoclastic revolutionaries lie their way into business events and government functions to expose the dangers of letting greed run our world. In their third cinematic outing (after The Yes Men and The Yes Men Fix the World), they are now well into their 40s, and their mid-life crises are threatening to drive them out of activism forever – even as they prepare to take on the biggest challenge they’ve ever faced: climate change. More than the first two films, The Yes Men Are Revolting is as much a character study as it is an entertaining depiction of their latest interventions. Revealing the real people behind the ruses, at its heart lies a hopeful message about fighting for change.
Watch the trailer HERE
Ornette: Made in America
Film Screening & Discussion with David Lee
Author of The Battle of the Five Spot
Thomas Craig Oliver Rooftop Terrace
Thursday 30 July 2015 / Doors at 8:30PM / Screening at 9PM
Only ten bucks!
David Lee presents the new edition of his acclaimed book on Ornette Coleman, The Battle of the Five Spot. His talk will be followed by a showing of the newly remastered Shirley Clarke film Ornette: Made in America.
Ornette: Made in America (1985)
Directed by Shirley Clarke
New Career Opportunity!
FirstOntario Performing Arts Centre
Marketing Design Coordinator
6PM on Tuesday 14 July 2015
VIEW THE POSTING HERE
Under the direction of the Marketing Supervisor, responsible for the design and creation of all Performing Arts Centre (PAC) advertising, promotional materials, communications, and online web/mobile layouts and deliver design support for rental clients and in-house needs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Under the direction of the Marketing Supervisor, design and create all marketing materials (eg. brochures, flyers, magazines, posters, playbills, ticket envelopes, letterhead, digital signage, short videos, print and online media advertising etc.) as required.
- Illustrate design concepts by presenting rough layout of art and copy regarding arrangement, size, type, style and related aesthetic concepts within the parameters of established brand standards including preparation of final layout.
- Create and update web/mobile design and layout using current ticketing software (eg. AudienceView).
- Prepare final artwork for approval by Marketing Supervisor for delivery to vendors.
- Complete projects by coordinating with outside agencies, art services printers etc. as required.
- Support organization with PowerPoint presentation graphics, illustrations and designs.
- Upkeep with the corporate brand standards, guidelines and trademark compliance as it evolves.
- Keep current on marketing trends and tactics.
- Liaise with marketing departments of various local, national and international cultural organizations.
- Maintain technical knowledge by attending design workshops, reviewing professional publications and participating in professional societies.
- Perform other similar and related duties as required.
Saturday 29 August 11AM-4PM
Basics of encaustic painting, safety, mixing, layering, texturing and fusing
$125.00 includes all materials and lunch
Working with photographs and transfers. Prerequisite: Encaustic basics class (mine or other). This is a mixed media photography intensive day using images of your own, Sandy will help with direction and printing.